Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Eric Carle Unit- The Very Hungry Caterpillar Part1



Eric Carle's The Very Hungry Caterpillar is one of my favorite books. I remember reading it with my little brother when we were children, and I enjoy sharing it with my students now. We have so much fun reading the book and learning about caterpillars and butterflies.


First we read the story. We talk about the days of the week as we read the story. The students love predicting how many pieces of fruit The Very Hungry Caterpillar will eat next.

The Very Hungry Caterpillar Pre-Writing

After we read the story we write about it. The students use this pre-writing sheet to organize their thoughts. They write one sentence about the story in each box. I work with them to edit their writing on the pre-writing sheet. Then they copy their sentences onto story writing paper and draw an illustration.



The next thing we do is create an interpretation of the cover. Their caterpillars turned out so cute. Unfortuntaly, I forgot to take pictures before sending them home, so I am  using a photo of the sample.



We also create butterfly art. This sample was done a few years ago using paint. This year I had my students use tissue paper to decorate their butterflies. They turned out so beautifully. I really wish I had taken pictures.

Terrific Tissue Paper Squares

I want to add that I used pre-cut tissue paper squares on our butterflies. I love these! I don't have to spend time cutting tissue paper, they are uniform in size, and it cuts down on scraps. Plus they come in variety packs so you get a lot of colors. I purchased mine at Michael's. I'm not sure if they still sell them, but you can buy 5000 squares for $6.00 at Oriental Trading.


Up Next: Eric Carle Unit- The Very Hungry Caterpillar Part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment